Glass Blasting Media
Why Use Glass Bead Abrasive?
The manufacturing process of glass blasting media reduces the glass and strips contaminants and waste by-products from it. The glass bead abrasive are then sized and screened to the exact specifications needed for various abrasive blasting needs.
Bottle or Tri-Mix Glass is chemically known as “Amorphous Silica”. It has virtually no crystalline-silica (the leading cause of Silicosis), which is commonly found in sand.
The glass blasting media we provide are manufactured from 100% recycled bottle glass, which directly benefits the environment by reducing landfill waste.
We offer glass bead abrasive in various grades, including: Extra Coarse, Coarse, Medium and Fine – Scroll to the bottom of the page to see specific product data for grades of glass blasting media.
Contact Rapid Prep to order your supply of glass blasting media.
Benefits of Glass Bead Abrasive:
Find out more about the characteristics & benefits of glass bead abrasive below:
- Similar hardness to many slags, 6.0 on Mohs Scale
- Lighter weight than many slags, allows for increased consumption efficiency. Contractors report using up to 40% less glass than slags or other mineral abrasives.
- Recommend to use at 90 PSI for best results and increased energy savings.
- Glass delivers very low particle embedment (less than 2%) which produces a whiter (SP-10) finish to the substrate.
- Superior rust-back performance vs. mineral/slag abrasives.
- Reduced disposal costs due to less weight and consumption.
- Approved for use on QPL under Mil-A-22262B (select product and plants only)
Using glass bead abrasive is safer for both workers and the environment. Find out more about these benefits below:
- 100% recycled material which is diverted directly from landfills.
- Glass is chemically non-toxic & inert, and can be used near water.
- No detectable CRYSTALLINE SILICA
- No detectable Heavy or Toxic metals such as arsenic, beryllium, cadmium, etc. which are commonly found in coal-slag, copper-slags and many mineral abrasives like garnet and staurolite. *OSHA list of Heavy & Toxic Metals
- Our Coarse & Medium products are approved on the California Air Resource Board’s List of ABRASIVES CERTIFIED FOR DRY OUTDOOR BLASTING UNDER EXECUTIVE ORDER G-06-053
- Glass is listed on the EPA’s Comprehensive Procurement Guidelines for Blasting Grit.
- Numerous government studies in the U.S. and Europe have confirmed the safety, environmental and work effectiveness of using recycled glass bead abrasive.*
* NIOSH report on Evaluation of Substitute Abrasives for Silica Sand – See Page 142 of report for Key Conclusions on Industrial-Hygiene Related Issues on benefits of glass blasting media.
Approved by California Air Resource Board under: Abrasives Certified for Outdoor Blasting
Approved by NAVSEA of the US Military for listing on the: Qualified Product List (QPL) under Mil-A-22262B
|Description||Product No.||U.S. Sieve Mesh Size||Steel MIL Profile|
|Extra Coarse||#1020||-10m + 20m||2.5 – 3.0|
|Work horse size for heavy blasting. Use for mill scale, heavy rust, barnacles and thick coatings. Excellent for concrete, structural steel, tanks, barges, ships, etc. Used as a blending stock for recycling blast operations. Delivers consistent SP10 finish with higher MIL profiles. Competes with 1040 and 2040 coal slags.|
|Coarse||#2030||-20m + 30m||2.0 – 3.0|
|Similar in performance to Extra Coarse this produt delivers same benefits with more control on limiting MIL profile. Works well for stripping paint, epoxy and preparing/cleaning concrete. Excellent for Heavy mill scale and rust.|
|Medium||#3060||-30m + 60m||1.0 – 2.0|
|For smoother finishes on all types of substrates. Excellent for aluminum, stainless steel, even fiberglass. Cuts coatings—vinyl, epoxy and enamel easily. Excellent for use in wet blast operations and for restoration/graffiti removal. Works well with light mill scale/rust.|
|Fine||#70100||-70m + 100m||0.0 – 1.0|
|Lighter duty fine blasting on substrates requiring minimal etching or profile such as wood, aluminum or fiberglass. Excellent for cleaning welds and bolt heads, spot cleaning and restoration work. Great surface for powder coating. Excellent for slurry blasting. Minimal to no substrate damage. Great for restoring cars, cleaning radiators and electrical motors, and medical parts cleaning.|